Sometimes inspiration hits you like a huge wallop, things that seemed vague and loose suddenly crystallise into something so obvious that you wonder why it took so long to think of it. This morning I woke up and made two decisions.
Firstly, I AM going to enter the Taranaki Art Awards (our most prestigious local art competition) again this year, even though up until now I thought I would pass on it this year.
Secondly, I am going to plan an exhibition of my work, to date. A real exhibition! It’s going to basically tell the story of my journey so far and be split into 3 media – paintings, mixed media pieces and photography. I have not exhibited any mixed media and very little of my photography.
I also want to include my blog and the blogging community (preferably interactive rather than as a static display) so that’s a bit of a challenge to think about how best to do that. Any ideas welcome!
I hope to achieve the following:
1. To build my profile as an artist (in painting, mixed media, photography and writing)
2. To see a collection of my work in one place instead of spread across various places and stored, so I can see it as a group of items and understand if there is any common threads/themes.
3. To let others comment and critique my work and learn from that
4. To hopefully even sell some pieces (not all pieces in the exhibition will be for sale)
5. To strengthen my relationships with other artists both in NZ and through the blogging community around me.
A blurry cloud of uncertainty and doubt has been replaced with clear vision and finally I know what I need to do.